Crystal Cruises’ Jogging Adventures
Active travellers are being encouraged to see sites ‘on the run’ in an industry-first from Crystal Cruises. The brand is debuting Site Running excursions aboard its Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity vessels in Europe this month, aimed at challenging the body and enriching the mind. The range of scenic five- to 10-kilometre runs will lead runners along Dubrovnik’s River Ombla, around Scotland’s Loch Lomond, through the architecture of St. Petersburg, weave the world-heritage delights of old Bordeaux and more. Sessions start from $69, with costs encompassing any transport, instructors, sight-seeing guidance, safety gear and healthy refreshments and snacks.
Site Running destinations:
- Along Dubrovnik’s River Ombla and the old train route to Brgat village – a path usually only travelled by locals – and on to meet the city’s cable car for a ride to Old Town Dubrovnik.
- From Greenock, Scotland, along the inclines, declines, worn and less taken paths surrounding Loch Lomond, set among the rolling hills of the Highlands.
- Among St. Petersburg’s gilded Baroque architecture, across the Neva River to Vasilievsky Island, past Peter the Great’s lush summer garden, then on to the fabled Church on the Spilled Blood.
- Beside Amsterdam‘s tree-lined canals, through pedestrian-only areas like the Waterlooplein flea market, and past iconic locales like Anne Frank’s House and the Rijksmuseum.
- From Monte Carlo, on a rolling path along the French Riviera, around St. Jean Cap-Ferrat peninsula and through the quaint village of Villefranche-sur-Mer to Beaulieu-sur-Mer, rewarded by an optional swim in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Around Cork’s quaint Irish town of Cobh, filled with colourful row houses, a hill-top, neo-Gothic cathedral, and magnificent harbor views.
- Through old Bordeaux – a UNESCO World Heritage Site only accessible by foot – past landmarks including the medieval Cailhau Gate, Napoleon and Chaban-Delmas Bridge crossings.
Crystal has long been committed to offering a host of health and fitness options to its active guests, both on its award-winning ships and ashore. Symphony and Serenity both feature luxuriously-equipped, fully-staffed fitness centres, specialty classes such as ‘Tour de Cycle’ spin, yoga, and Pilates Reformer sessions (on select voyages).
In 2014, 25 Crystal cruises of seven to 14 days will sail through the Mediterranean, Northern and Western Europe and the British Isles. Until 30 June, all-inclusive ‘Book Now’ cruise fares start at $1990 per person.