Leading luxury travel agency network, Virtuoso, has announced the nominees for its prestigious Best of the Best Hotel Awards 2013. The network’s Hotels & Resorts Program consists of more than 983 hotels, resorts, villas and private island retreats in 100 countries, cementing its reputation as an industry powerhouse and trusted source. Every year, the awards recognise the hotels that best exemplify Virtuoso’s commitment to delivering exceptional experiences in travel.
The nominees represent the highest standards in their given category and only 50 properties are under consideration for the awards. Categories range from Hotel of the Year to Best Achievement in Design to Best Spa.
Editors of Virtuoso Life magazine, the network’s award-winning publication, reviewed numerous submissions and researched hundreds of properties to select the award nominees. Winners will be revealed at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, August 11 to 16, Virtuoso Travel Week brings together thousands of Virtuoso’s member travel advisors- considered the leaders in creating luxury experiences- and the world’s best travel providers to participate in the industry’s preeminent event. Virtuoso Life magazine will feature the Best of the Best winners in its September/October issue.
Hotel of the Year – Recognises a hotel that continually epitomises excellence in the categories of design, ambience, service, food and beverage, spa, family programs, innovation and social responsibility.
- Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea – Maui, Hawaii, United States
- Gritti Palace, A Luxury Collection Hotel – Venice, Italy
- Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong – Hong Kong, China
- Montage Laguna Beach – Laguna Beach, California, United States
- The Peninsula Shanghai – Shanghai, China
One to Watch – Recognises an exciting new property that elevates the hospitality experience, either in an emerging destination or an established tourism market.
- J.K. Place Roma – Rome, Italy
- Ritz Paris – Paris, France
- Rosewood London – London, England
- The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort – Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Shangri-La Bosphorus, Istanbul – Istanbul, Turkey
Most Innovative Guest Experience – Recognises a hotel that continually raises the bar by featuring clever and meaningful guest experiences that move the industry forward.
- Anantara Elephant Camp and Resort – Chiang Saen, Thailand
- Banjaar Tola by Taj Safaris – Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Hotel Cipriani by Orient-Express – Venice, Italy
- The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii – Kohala Coast, Hawaii, United States
- InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa – Moorea, French Polynesia
Best Achievement in Design – Recognises the significance of outstanding architecture and design of a hotel or component therein, whether in new construction, renovation or historic restoration.
- Alpina Gstaad – Gstaad, Switzerland
- Dorado Beach, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve – Dorado, Puerto Rico
- Four Seasons Hotel Toronto – Toronto, Canada
- Hotel Maria Cristina, A Luxury Collection Hotel – San Sebastian, Spain
- Mashpi Lodge – Mashpi Rainforest Biodiversity Reserve, Ecuador
Best Culinary Experience – Recognises the hotel restaurant that offers exemplary food, service, ambience, wine list and even views.
- Amber, Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong – Hong Kong, China
- La Pergola, Rome Cavalieri Hotel, A Waldorf-Astoria Resort – Rome, Italy
- Restaurant 1621, Sofitel Santa Clara – Cartagena, Colombia
- Rivea, Hotel Byblos Saint Tropez – Saint-Tropez, France
- La Scène, Prince de Galles, A Luxury Collection Hotel – Paris, France
Best Bar – Recognises the hotel bar that offers a lively, convivial and entertaining social meeting spot where innovative drinks and an enticing atmosphere create a “must see and be seen” buzz.
- The Armani, Bamboo Bar, Armani Hotel Milano – Milan, Italy
- The Bar, Park Hyatt Sydney – Sydney, Australia
- Bar Centro by José Andrés, SLS Hotel South Beach – Miami, Florida, United States
- Ozone Bar, The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong – Hong Kong, China
- Tunes Bar, The Conservatorium Hotel – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Best Family Program – Recognising the family friendly environment, this award acknowledges special programs and activities for children of all ages, from creative activities to educational endeavours and active adventures.
- Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach – Sunny Isles, Florida, United States
- Evason Ana Mandara at Nha Trang – Nha Trang, Vietnam
- Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora – Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- The Gleneagles Hotel – Auchterarder, Perthshire, Scotland
- The Resort at Pelican Hill – Newport Coast, California, United States
Best Spa – Recognises the hotel spa that offers the most alluring environment for rest and rejuvenation, creative and therapeutic treatments, and highly skilled and knowledgeable therapists.
- Hypnôze Spa, Palacio Nazarenas by Orient-Express – Cuzco, Peru
- Miraj Hammam by Caudalie Paris, Shangri-La Hotel Toronto – Toronto, Canada
- Opium Spa, The Siam – Bangkok, Thailand
- Regent Spa, Regent Palms Turks & Caicos – Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
- Spa Mukul, Mukul Beach, Golf & Spa – Tola, Nicaragua
Hotelier of the Year – Honours an experienced hotel manager with an unrelenting passion for the industry, an astute appreciation for detail and a keen sense of how to lead and manage a dynamic team of professionals.
- Omer Acar, Le Royal Monceau – Raffles Paris, Paris, France
- Antonio Alvarez, Palacio Duhau-Park Hyatt Buenos Aires – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- François Delahaye, Hôtel Plaza Athénée, Dorchester Collection – Paris, France
- Elisabeth Gürtler, Hotel Sacher Wien and Hotel Sacher Salzburg – Vienna and Salzburg, Austria
- Marco Selva, St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort – Bal Harbour, Florida, United States