Following a multi-million-dollar refurbishment, Silver Cloud’s transformation into an ice-class vessel is nearly complete, soon to be unveiled as the most luxurious expedition ship in the market.
Destined largely for the Arctic and Antarctic, Silver Cloud can now proudly join Silversea Cruises’ expedition fleet. The ship’s new strengthened ice-class hull was on display as she left Malta on 28 October 2017, bound for South America, where she will commence her official inaugural voyage on 15 November 2017 from Buenos Aires.
Amber Wilson, Managing Director, Asia Pacific, Silversea Cruises, said, “As the first ship to launch Silversea Cruises’ fleet in 1994, Silver Cloud holds a special place in our history. Silver Cloud’s new hull provides the combined strength and manoeuverability required to explore polar waters and will allow her to navigate through ice floes and pack. She will also offer new standards in luxury, style and comfort and some of the largest suites available in expedition cruising. It is astonishing that, since launching the cruise line more than 20 years ago, not only does Silver Cloud preserve the hallmark of Silversea’s acclaimed service and luxury, she will once again raise the benchmark in cruising.
“With a guest capacity of just 200 in polar regions and 254 in non-polar regions, guests on-board Silver Cloud will enjoy the highest levels of personalised and attentive service with a one to one staff to guest ratio. The limited capacity will also allow our guests to disembark at the same time to fully explore each region.”
Silver Cloud has an unprecedented set of expedition features and technical interventions to allow navigation in polar regions, including.
- New navigational equipment including Sonar and Thermal Imaging equipment to increase visibility over the ice during navigation.
- A system to navigate at slow speed to allow for more precise maneuvering in the presence of ice.
Silver Cloud will have 22 expedition team members in polar-regions and 19 in non-polar regions, offering more than one expedition staff to every 10 guests. Guest will benefit from:
- Company-first Polar Sea Kayaking Program: complimentary dedicated kayak guides, guided by three experts, which allow guests to explore closer than ever before.
- Complimentary, fully-escorted shore programs, including Zodiac exploration in some of the most remote destinations.
- 16 Zodiacs on board, Silversea’s largest Zodiac fleet.
- The Explorer Lounge, one of the most advanced lecture rooms in the industry, with audiovisual equipment and unobstructed views to three large screens.
- Briefings and destination lectures delivered daily in the Explorer Lounge, broadcast live and recorded for in-suite playback.
- A Photo Studio to allow guests to edit and print their images with assistance and training from the Studio Manager.