Qantas has opened the first phase of the new Melbourne Business Domestic Lounge as part of a major upgrade project that will include a new design, additional seating and new dining options.
The Melbourne Qantas Club and Domestic Business Lounge are being redeveloped over a 12-month period, with the lounges completed in stages to allow ongoing access during the build. The first phase of the new Qantas Club opened in May.
Both facilities are expected to be completed by early November and will result in a 20% increase in seating compared to the original versions. The Qantas Club will accommodate 530 customers and the Business Lounge will accommodate 350 customers.
“Melbourne is one of the most-frequented ports on our network and the investment in our lounges will give our customers more space, new dining options and a premium design,” said Philip Capps, Qantas Head of Customer Product & Service Development.
“The sophisticated design is inspired by the urban Melbourne culture and once the build is completed, we know our customers are going to enjoy the extra space and Asian-inspired dining experience.
“We know renovations can be unsettling, but the development is progressing to schedule and we are on track to offer our customers two completely new lounges by early November.”
The initial phase of the Qantas Melbourne Business Lounge includes the following elements:
- Offering views of the tarmac, the Melbourne Domestic Business Lounge has been completely redesigned with more seating and more dining options.
- Designed by Woods Bagot, the lounge is styled on a supper club with dark tones and sophisticated finishes used throughout to symbolise the chic, urban feel of Melbourne.
- Finishes include dark luxurious Nero Marquina marble from Northern Spain, natural timber floors, fluted glass, brass and black metal fittings and custom brass lighting from Volker Haug & Aglo.
- Seasonal menus by Neil Perry include daily breakfast plates and a premium hot and cold buffet with an emphasis on Asian dishes including fried rice, noodles and Asian greens.
- A bar serving barista coffee in the morning and beer, Australian wines and non-alcoholic beverages from midday. Rockpool cocktails will be served from 5pm–6pm.
- Quench – a signature drinks concept supporting hydration and wellness while travelling. Drinks include infused water, sparkling water and flavoured tisane.
- All-day barista coffee.
- Building on the successful signature dining concepts in Perth (pizza bar) and Brisbane (Mexican Cantina), the Melbourne Domestic Business Lounge will include a Spice Bar.
- From November, the Spice Bar will serve freshly made Asian soups, noodles and tasty Asian street food from midday each day. Dishes include:
o Sichuan eggplant with rice and stir fried gai lan
o Beef brisket noodle soup with salted chili and bok choy
o Char sui pork with rice and stir fried choy sum
- Business facilities include Wi-Fi, communal work zones with large work tables and wireless printing, increased number of power and data outlets at all fixed seating positions throughout the lounge and TV screens.
- Shower suites complete with ASPAR by Aurora skincare products.
The lounge is open to Qantas customers travelling in Business, Qantas Platinum and Platinum One members, as well as eligible oneworld Emerald, Emirates Platinum Skyward and China Eastern Platinum Eastern Miles customers.