For more than 30 years, Scenic has sought that which lies beyond the horizon, seeking out new experiences, landscapes and cultures to expand our consciousness. The Scenic Eclipse fleet is now setting unparalleled benchmarks in design, innovation and technology.
The Scenic Eclipse fleet has been designed with a rating of Ice Class 1A Super (Polar Class 6), the highest of any luxury vessel, coupled with state-of-the-art technology, GPS dynamic position, forward bow thrusters and an electronic Azipod propulsion system, allowing for safe navigation through all waters and sensitive marine environments.
The 168-metre discovery yacht, with a 21.5-metre (70.5 ft) beam, will include the latest innovations in naval design and technology for exploration in extreme environments, such as the Arctic and Antarctic coasts.
“Access to small ports and to the sensitive polar regions are elements of the program development for Scenic Eclipse,” said Glen Moroney, Founder and Owner Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours. “As such the technology we have put into the design and construction of our fleet is paramount. This is a ship Jules Verne would have loved for its capacity to reach destinations most people have only ever seen on TV documentaries.”
“The design had to meet complex requirements to ensure the vessel could operate in the most demanding conditions. The vessels feature custom-built stabilisers which are 50% larger than standard to ensure the vessel is more stable on the water. Combined with our dynamic positioning technology it means we do not need to use anchors when stationary. This is particularly important in polar areas or areas of marine significance as we have no impact on the ocean floor.”
Other key design and innovation features include:
- The Eclipse fleet is fuelled with Marine Gas Oil (MGO), which is the highest class of marine fuel, with the lowest concentration of sulphur and particulates. It is compatible with the strict emission requirements for cruising in polar regions.
- All critical systems on the vessels have been duplicated – wheel house, generators, food preparation and storage – to ensure that the unlikely failure of any does not impact on the safety of the vessel or the enjoyment of guests
- State-of-the-art waste water system to ensure minimal impact on marine environment
- Use of Azipod propulsion system resulting in lowest noise levels of any available system. They are also 12% more efficient than other equivalent systems.
- The Ice Class 1A Super (Polar Class 6) rating provides the Scenic Eclipse with a wider sphere of operations in polar regions as it does not require Icebreaker assistance
Scenic Eclipse sets a whole new benchmark in design innovation and luxury. With a commitment to world-class safety, innovation in design and quality appointments throughout, offering guests the experience of discovering the world in all-inclusive luxury remains key.