Cultural and archaeological tour specialist Peter Sommer Travels has unveiled a record number of tours for 2019, with more than 50 departures on escorted holidays, traditional gulet cruises and archaeological tours spanning Croatia, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Peter Sommer Travels has introduced a new tour of Wales, the first tour the company has offered in the ruggedly wild country, renowned for its distinctive Welsh language and fascinating Celtic culture. The tour will provide the award-winning combination of expert historian and archaeologist guides, small guest groups, superb local scenery and cuisine.
A total of 29 land-based and gulet cruising itineraries are detailed in the new 2019 Peter Sommer Travels brochure, which has just been released in print and is also available online.
Brochure highlights across the destinations include:
- Exploring Crete: Archaeology, Nature and Food – this 13-day tour is the ideal opportunity to visit this fascinating island’s important ancient sites, including the prehistoric Minoan palaces, while also veering off the beaten track to explore many of Crete’s hidden gems. As well as its historical and archaeological riches, the island is a place of extraordinary natural beauty and diversity. Crete also boasts one of the most refined variations of Greek cuisine. There are three departures in April, May and October 2019 with fares from £3,395* pp twin share (approx AU$6,910).
- Exploring Sicily – a 14-day trip which provides an unforgettable encounter with Sicily’s long history and culture. The tour takes in the wonderfully preserved remains of the Greek, Roman and Phoenician cities that stud its coasts, explores the baroque towns that hug its steep hills and the modern metropolis, Palermo. Departing 7 April 2019, fares start from £4,725* pp twin share (approx. AU$8,175).
- Exploring Hadrian’s Wall: Romans, Reivers and Romantics – a seven-day tour which delves into England’s richly layered history while staying at the magnificent 14th-century Langley Castle. The tour follows Roman Emperor Hadrian’s fortifications across northern England and explores medieval market towns to learn about a region which has drawn conquerors and settlers across the centuries. Departing 22 June 2019, fares start from £2,825* pp twin share (approx. AU$5,010)
- Cruising the Lycian Shore – a 15-day gulet cruise explores the virtually untouched coastline of ancient Lycia, on Turkey’s breathtaking turquoise coast. The tour includes well-known highlights like the marble-clad city of Perge, where archaeologists are unearthing a site to rival Ephesus; Myra, with some of the finest rock-cut tombs; and Xanthos, a vast fortified citadel city that dominated the region for centuries. Departing 31 August 2019 with fares from £4,075* pp twin share (approx AU$7,225).
- A Gastronomic Gulet Cruise in Croatia – an eight-day tour exploring the cuisine of Dalmatia, Croatia’s most maritime region. Travelling on an elegant gulet, this tour takes in the gastronomic riches of the islands and the mainland and includes visits to local producers sampling authentic regional dishes, the area’s finest wines and olive oils and participating in cooking classes. Dining is at selected konobas and restaurants. Departing 28 September 2019 with fares from £3,395* pp twin share (approx. AU$6,020).
Specialising in small-group expeditions, Peter Sommer Travels’ itineraries provides a fascinating insight into ancient lands while guests enjoy the history, culture, magnificent scenery, food and wine of each destination.
Peter Sommer Travels offers commission to travel agents selling tours from Australia. Commission rates are commonly discussed with the agent at the start of a business relationship.
*Rates are per person, twin share and include accommodation, all dining and beverages (unless otherwise stated), expert-led excursions, entrance fees and transfers. Flights are additional.