The big achievers of the Australasian cruising world have been named at this year’s annual Cruise Industry Awards, the biggest night of the year for the Australian and New Zealand cruise community.
Held by Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) Australasia, the gala dinner and awards night attracted more than 500 guests to Sydney’s Star Event Centre on Saturday and helped mark another successful year in the thriving cruise sector. A total of 20 honours were presented in an evening hosted by actor and singer Tim Campbell, including awards for travel agencies and individuals from across both countries.
CLIA Australasia Managing Director, Joel Katz, said this year’s awards had been among the most successful of the event’s 18-year history.
“We had a record number of submissions this year which made for a heightened level of competition,” Katz said. “It proves that travel agents are more engaged than ever and more dedicated to developing their cruise business, which makes them a key driver of the ongoing growth in the cruise industry.”
Top winners on the night included Australia’s Cruise Consultant of the Year, Gail Chapman of Dreamlines Australia, and New Zealand’s Cruise Consultant of the Year, Kiri Martin of YOU Travel Orewa.
Phil Hoffmann Travel was named Australia’s Large Cruise Agency of the Year, while helloworld Milford & Browns Bay was chosen as New Zealand’s Large Cruise Agency of the Year. Australia’s Small Cruise Agency of the Year was itravel Carlingford, while New Zealand’s Small Cruise Agency of the Year was tied between House of Travel Kapiti Coast and helloworld Rotorua.
A highlight honour was the induction of Crystal Cruises Managing Director & Senior Vice President Australia & New Zealand, Karen Christensen, into the CLIA Hall of Fame, recognising her for more than 30 years in the Australasian cruise industry and her long association with CLIA.
Other winners from the night included:
- Cruise Champion, Australasia: Tim Faircloth, I Love Cruising
- Agency Promotion of the Year: MyCruises
- Network Promotion of the Year: helloworld New Zealand
- Media Award: Andrew Conway for “The New Wave”
- #ChooseCruise Promotion of the Year: Bon Voyage Travel & Cruise
- Rising Star: Peter Fontinis, Clean Cruising
- Home-Based Agent of the Year: Nicole Edgar, TravelManagers Australia
- Online Cruise Agency of the Year: CleanCruising
- Agency Promotion of the Year: Bon Voyage Cruises & Travel
- Broker of the Year: Denise Fowler, The Travel Broker
- Rising Star: Shelly Williams, Clevedon Travel
- Online Cruise Agency of the Year: HOOT Cruises