Hurtigruten has confirmed its most extensive ship upgrade to date will include not only redesigned cabins and suites (including the debut of five large suites with panoramic views), but low-emission engines, a state-of-the-art Science Center and four new restaurants.
In 2020, MS Finnmarken will return to sailing along the Norwegian coastline on Hurtigruten’s six-, seven- and 12-day Coastal Voyages. In 2021, the ship will explore handpicked destinations along the rugged Norwegian coastline on year-round expedition cruises.
“We will transform MS Finnmarken into a fully fledged, premium expedition cruise ship, with all the comforts, facilities and expertise you need to create a perfect adventure,” Hurtigruten CEO Daniel Skjeldam said.
The keel-to-mast upgrade will bring several new features to the ship. Some of the highlights include:
- Substantially upgraded low-emission engines complying with all known and upcoming regulations (Tier 3), instalment of shore-power connectivity and preparing her for future battery pack installation.
- All cabins and suites will be fully refurbished using natural Scandinavian materials such as granite, oak, birch and wool.
- On Deck 8 aft (in the current gym and sauna area) five large suites with large panoramic windows and spectacular views will be added.
- Four brand-new restaurants will be added:
Aune will be social and informal, with the use of natural elements in design and interiors. It will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner inspired by Scandinavian cuisine.
Lindstrøm, a specialty restaurant named after a favourite chef of Norwegian polar heroes, will be a premium fine-dining restaurant with strong roots in traditional Norwegian cooking that are contrasted with modern cuisine.
Fredheim, an informal eatery, is named after a legendary 1920s hunting station in Svalbard that sheltered adventurers from around the world. It will be added on Deck 7.
Lastly, a new outdoor grill venue will be added on Deck 8.
- Hurtigruten’s signature Science Center will be added on Deck 4, packed with state-of-the-art technology and high-tech gadgets such as touchscreen devices, science equipment and other interactive features. This ‘edutainment’ area will also be the onboard headquarters for the ship’s Expedition Team.
- The new wellness area will be added on Deck 7, complete with lounge, treatment rooms, gym and panoramic sauna.
- The outdoor pool area will be fully refurbished, the onboard shop will be expanded and the car deck will be replaced by the launching area for Hurtigruten explorer boats and other expedition equipment.
- MS Finnmarken’s extensive art collection will be preserved during the refurbishment, which will take place in the first quarter of 2020.
“Imagine standing on deck, watching the aurora borealis glimmer above in a star-riddled sky, sailing nearly within touching distance of a sheer 3,000-foot-high mountainside; or experiencing small communities, perpetual daylight and a never-setting sun north of the Arctic Circle. This is what you get when you join a Norwegian adventure with Hurtigruten,” Skjeldam said.
Hurtigruten’s 2020 Coastal Voyages are now open for booking aboard MS Finnmarken.
Lead image: Rendering of MS Finnmarken‘s Corner Suite