Reserve your room, and your table, for the 1 July opening of Hayman Island by InterContinental. With a seven-decade heritage in restaurant and bar excellence, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts welcome three new culinary heavyweights to lead five distinct dining experiences on island.
Joshua Dows joins the team as Director of Restaurants and Bars, leading the charge on culinary direction and conceptualisation. Dows earned his stripes on board luxury cruise ships, catering for the many and varied desires of 3,000 passengers.
Dows says, “Our philosophy is built around giving guests a truly unique restaurant and bar experience across all our venues, mixing the very best of local flavour and global know-how. For me, it’s about creating a lasting memory. It is a wonderful pleasure to experiment and uncover dining experiences which reflect not only the heart of the Whitsundays but also experiences filled with fun, distinction and refinement. We cannot wait to welcome our first guests in July.”
At the helm of the restaurant is Erwin Joven, appointed as Director of Kitchens. Joven has extensive experience working as an Executive Chef in luxury remote locations such as Fiji, Philippines and the British Virgin Islands. Joven has a passion for grilling outdoors and barbecuing so guests to the island can look forward to the intoxicating aroma of a hot charcoal grill working its magic while they enjoy sundowners overlooking the Coral Sea.
Anthony Kramer joins the team as Executive Sous Chef, having returned to Australia after a decade working in a high-end resort in Vietnam. Kramer brings a wealth of originality and experience working on Lord Howe Island, the Maldives and other remote island locations across the globe. Kramer loves fishing so there’s a good chance his catch of the day will make it onto the menu.
These three culinary pedigrees are the guiding force behind the five distinct dining destinations and bar
offerings on the island:
- Pacific – Pacific is the resort’s signature, brasserie-style bar and restaurant. It offers a gourmet buffet breakfast in the morning and sophisticated á la carte dining into the evening. Designed as a hub of connectivity to both people and island, Pacific will also unveil a jaw-dropping oceanfront bar, destined to be the most distinct in the region. At its heart will be a beverage collection featuring classic cocktails with a contemporary twist, Australia’s best wines, boutique beers and premium spirits.
- AQUA – Perched on the side of the Hayman Pool, AQUA offers guests a refreshing menu of easy-to-share seafood dishes, tropical fruit juices, fresh salad bowls and classic cocktails.
- Amici Trattoria – A blazing wood-fired pizza oven sits at the heart of this casual Italian eatery. The menu features pizza, pasta and an Australian wine list starring Italian grape varietals.
- Bam Bam – Full of character and your go-to for bold zesty dishes, Bam Bam serves up pan-Asian cuisine infused with a fresh Australian twist. Specialties will include wok-tossed noodles and sugarcane juices, packed with punchy flavours.
- Bar Fifty – Set in the heart of the resort’s lobby, Bar Fifty is an international icon, having served sophisticated cocktails to globetrotters since the 1950s. Bar Fifty pays careful dedication to its distinguished past, reopening with twists on familiar favourites, classic cocktails, canapés and light bites within a lively hub.
InterContinental Hotels & Resorts has been regarded as restaurant and bar aficionados for over seven decades, with its signature restaurants and destination bars. Hayman Island by InterContinental will embark on a new era of luxury from 1 July, evolving its culinary palate to meet the changing tastes of modern travellers.