Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours has announced an expansion of its partnership with National Geographic Expeditions in 2020 to include Russia and Egypt.
The alliance between the two travel companies was launched last October, with itineraries offered in Southeast Asia and in Europe on the Douro, Rhine, Danube and Rhone.
Speaking to media in Sydney on Wednesday, Scenic’s Communications and PR Manager, Mandy Dwyer, said the partnership was a combination of “two very strong and very well known brands in Australia”.
The National Geographic Expeditions program differs from the standard scenic itinerary through the addition on each cruise of an expert in select fields, including areas such as art, wine, geology and geography, who provides a different perspective on the sailings.
“We are giving guests a really unique way at looking at these countries, all the time while doing a luxury Scenic river cruise. Combining a luxury element with a real education and learning component that National Geographic brings to everything.”
Building on that arrangement, Scenic and National Geographic Expeditions will now team up on a 15-day Russia River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Joining the 7 June 2020 sailing will be National Geographic photographer and visual journalist, Davide Monteleone, who has extensive knowledge of Russia and post-Soviet countries. Monteleone has published five books about the region and has lived in Moscow for long periods since 2001. The itinerary is priced from $12,355 per person twin share.
In Egypt, Scenic and National Geographic Expeditions will offer a series of departures on the 11-day Treasures of Egypt round-trip itinerary from Cairo in 2020. National Geographic photographer Ken Garrett will accompany the cruises and share his knowledge of ancient civilisations, archaeology and human evolution. Departures are scheduled for 24 Jan, 17 April, 1 May, 28 August, 30 October and 27 November 2020.
The itinerary is priced from $9,825 per person twin share.
The program also includes:
- 15-day Cruising the Legendary Rivers of Europe: Budapest to Amsterdam – 23 September 2020
- 8-day Holland and Belgium in Springtime River Cruise: Amsterdam to Amsterdam – 13, 15 April 2020
- 8-day Rhine Christmas Markets River Cruise: Basel to Amsterdam – 9 December 2020
- 8-day Danube River Cruise: Budapest to Nuremberg – 11 June 2020
- 8-day Danube Christmas Markets River Cruise: Budapest to Nuremberg – 10 December 2020
- 11-day Douro River Cruise – Into the Heart of Portugal: Porto round-trip – 22 September 2020
- 11-day Rhone River Cruise – Sailing the South of France: Lyon round-trip – 30 July 2020
Lead image: At the launch of the 2020 Scenic/National Geographic Expeditions program are Andrea Robinson, Country Director, Travel Expeditions – National Geographic Expeditions and Anthony Laver, Scenic Group General Manager, Sales and Marketing, Australia/Asia Pacific.