The Condé Nast Readers’ Choice Awards 2019 received record numbers of readers weighing in this year, with 600,000 people registering votes across the 30,000-plus listings on the Condé Nast database. The results of the annual awards traditionally give an overview of travel trends and the most popular destinations and experiences; this was no different in the 32nd iteration of the Readers’ Choice Awards.
Below are the top 10 results for the Best Hotel and Best Resort categories for Australia and New Zealand, along with a few other categories, including best big and small cities, and the top countries to visit.
The Top 10 Hotels in Australia and New Zealand
The Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards are the longest-running and most prestigious recognition of excellence in the travel industry and are commonly known as “the best of the best of travel.”
The Langham, Melbourne took the top spot in this region, with a 98.3% score card. Recent initiatives at the property include the Season’s Harvest at Melba Restaurant where up to 70% of all produce and wine is sourced within Victoria.
- The Langham, Melbourne – Melbourne, Australia
- COMO The Treasury – Perth, Australia
- Lancemore Lindenderry Red Hill – Red Hill, Australia
- The Calile Hotel – Brisbane, Australia
- Halcyon House – Cabarita Beach, Australia
- Four Seasons Hotel Sydney – Sydney, Australia
- QT Wellington – Wellington, New Zealand
- Sofitel Melbourne on Collins – Melbourne, Australia
- Lancemore Mansion Hotel Werribee Park – Melbourne, Australia
- QT Sydney – Sydney, Australia
The Top 10 Resorts in Australia and the South Pacific
There are a lot of contenders for the Best Resorts in Australia and the South Pacific, and Condé Nast revealed the Top 20 as selected by the Readers’ Choice Awards. Nanuku, Auberge Resort Collections came first in the category, no doubt influenced by its pristine beaches, exceptional service and genuine local experiences they have on offer for their guests.
“We are so honoured that Nanuku has been voted the No. 1 resort in the Australia and South Pacific region by Condé Nast Traveler’s knowledgeable and well-travelled readers,” said Chris Gabaldon, Chief Operating Officer.
“Authentic and dynamic Fijian adventures are what set Nanuku apart from the others in Fiji. Our gracious staff treat every guest like family and we look forward to continuing to provide the exceptional service and one-of-a-kind experiences that leave visitors with a strong bond to Nanuku’s people and blissful setting,” Gabaldon said.
- Nanuku, Auberge Resorts Collection – Pacific Harbour, Fiji
- Southern Ocean Lodge – Kangaroo Island, Fiji
- Namale Resort & Spa – Vanua Levu, Fiji
- Conrad Bora Bora Nui – Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Likuliku Lagoon – Malolo Island, Fiji
- Laucala Island Resort – Laucala Island, Fiji
- Turtle Island Fiji – Turtle Island, Fiji
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa – Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort – Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- The Farm at Cape Kidnappers – Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
The Top 10 Countries in the World
Everybody has their favourite countries to visit, whether it be for their rich culture, storied history, distinctive natural landmarks, and hoards of other draw cards. The 2019 awards listed the Top 20 countries to explore for 2019.
- Sri Lanka
- South Africa
The Best Cities in the World
There’s a striking amount of diversity among the global superpower cities, which are filled with everything from centuries-old palaces to neon-lit skylines and staggering skyscrapers. The awards made sure to consider all nominated cities, big and small, and revealed the international cities their readers loved most in 2019.
The Top 10 Small Cities
- Merida, Mexico
- Dresden, Germany
- Quebec City, Canada
- Salzburg, Austria
- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Bergen, Norway
- Florence, Italy
- Puebla, Mexico
- Monte Carlo, Monaco
- Cologne, Germany
The Top 10 Big Cities
- Tokyo, Japan
- Kyoto, Japan
- Vienna, Austria
- Osaka, Japan
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Barcelona, Spain
- Taipei, Taiwan
- Sydney, Australia
The Best Hotels in the World
Always a highly sought-after category to place in, The Condé Nast Readers’ Choice Awards narrows it down to the Top 50 in the world – plenty of options for those using the awards as vacation inspiration in the coming year.
- SLS Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel – Beverly Hills, USA
- Baur au Lac – Zurich, Switzerland
- Taj Lake Palace – Rajasthan, India
View the complete 2019 Condé Nast Readers Choice Award lists here.
Lead image: SLS Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills, USA
Want to be in the luxury travel know? Subscribe to our free eNewsletter here to keep up to date with everything in the luxury travel industry.