Abercrombie & Kent has named adventurer and mountaineer Alex Pancoe as a host of the luxury travel company’s 15-day Ultimate Iceland & Greenland expeditionary cruise in 2020.
The Chicago-based adventurer has just completed the Explorers Grand Slam, an extreme challenge consisting of climbing the Seven Summits – the highest mountains on each continent — as well as cross-country skiing the final degree to the North and South Poles.
“This unique voyage offers guests a choice of expertly designed shore excursions that appeal to cultural enthusiasts, families and active thrill-seekers,” explains Bob Simpson, Abercrombie & Kent’s Vice President, Expedition Cruising. “Alex Pancoe will be our Explorer in Residence on this voyage, encouraging guests to challenge themselves in some of Iceland and Greenland’s wildest places.”
Few destinations offer the dramatic scenery and geological wonders that make adventures in this region so rewarding. Highlights include:
- Exploring a volcano: Take a challenging walk to the top of Iceland’s Eldfell volcano, then descend to the local museum to learn the story of its 1973 eruption.
- Rappeling with an Everest summiteer: Rappel down a rock formation overlooking the ancient village of Qaqortoq, under the guidance of Alex Pancoe.
- Kayaking a Greenlandic fjord: Experience the waters of Tunulliarfik Fjord, opting to kayak the serene shoreline or paddle into more exciting waters.
- Trekking the Greenland Ice Cap: Strap on crampons and set foot across the awe-inspiring Greenland Ice Cap, the second largest ice body in the world.
- Hiking from a mine to a military base: Embark on a fascinating, three-mile hike from a rare cryolite mine to “Bluie,” an abandoned Danish naval base in Arsuk Fjord.
- Summitting a waterfall: Ascend Iceland’s Dynjandi falls, which involves a rigorous hike and a scramble up a steep cliff.
Guests will explore alongside Alex as he shares stories from his many adventures and encourages guests to set their own goals and challenge themselves. It was his recovery from a brain tumour at the age of 18 that inspired him to attempt the Explorers Grand Slam, with the goal of raising a million dollars for Lurie Children’s Hospital, where he received care.
He joins A&K’s Expedition Team of accomplished, real-life explorers, from award-winning scientists to habitat conservationists, historians and recipients of the prestigious Polar Medal.
Guests can count on insight and guidance from at least 18 A&K Expedition Team members, learning about the geology and wildlife of the region on Zodiac cruises, as well as fascinating lectures about the culture and how people survive in this harsh environment. Family activities are geared for young people of all ages while A&K’s dedicated photo coach encourages guests to hone their skills with lectures and hands-on workshops for both experts and budding photographers alike, in one of the world’s most photogenic settings.
Book early and save up to $4,350 per person.
A&K’s Ultimate Iceland & Greenland Cruise, 13 – 27 August, 2020.
15 days from $21,985 (was $26,335) per person twin share.
Single supplement waived for solo travellers booking cabin categories 1-3 before 30 November, 2019.
Special Offers are subject to availability and may be withdrawn at any time.