The Canadian Rockies, Private Jet tours around the world, Sydney’s Bondi Beach and even Tonga have made the Top 10 cut in Virtuoso‘s ‘trips of a lifetime’ to experience in the 2020 Virtuoso Luxe Report.
The annual survey of the Virtuoso global luxury travel network’s 20,000 travel advisors globally, details insights and observations for travel in the upcoming year, and among the data captured are travel advisor recommendations for the 10 most ‘unusual and exciting’ experiences.
Virtuoso’s 2020 Luxe Report’s Wanderlist and ‘must-have’ experiences include:
- Surf Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach, whether a pro or first-timer. Bondi is just outside the city center and extremely popular with locals and visitors alike. Serious surfers hang out at the southern end of the beach, while novices occupy the northern stretch, where waves are often smaller.
- Head to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympics, taking place 24 July to 9 August. Japan continues to trend in 2020, finding itself on two Luxe Report lists for global and emerging destinations. Beyond the Games, travellers will be enamored with Japan’s gorgeous scenery, dynamic cities, culinary delights and cultural heritage.
- Witness the Great Migration in Tanzania and Kenya, where millions of zebras, wildebeest and antelope traverse the landscape in search of food and water while attempting to elude predators such as lions and crocodiles.
- Live like a local for a month (or more) in Italy, the Luxe Report’s top global destination of 2020. As authenticity is one of the year’s top trends, travellers can immerse themselves in the lifestyle of this beloved country. Rent a villa. Find a favourite espresso or wine bar. Learn the language. Master the cuisine or just savour it.
- Support the Bahamas after the devastating impact of Hurricane Dorian, which severely damaged Grand Bahama and Abaco islands in September. Tourism comprises 60% of the nation’s economy and revenues from visitors boost recovery efforts. Virtuoso’s nine resorts escaped with little to no damage; they are open and receiving guests.
- Fly around the world via private jet, touching down at legendary destinations such as Easter Island, Petra, Jordan and the Taj Mahal. Country-hop in style on a specially outfitted jet while relaxing comfortably in a leather seat, with an attentive onboard crew assisting with every need. Bypass commercial airports while avoiding jetlag … what could be better!
- Explore the pristine landscape of Antarctica. The continent was voted the top adventure destination in the 2020 Luxe Report, proving that cold-weather spots are hot. As travellers seek out destinations with unspoiled scenic beauty. Travellers can kayak with humpback whales, watch penguins in their natural habitat and even take a dip in the frigid waters.
- Sail through the Panama Canal, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. This century-old engineering marvel is even more impressive up close on a full transit cruise, where the ship sails though the canal. It takes a day to traverse the 80 kilometres of locks as the ship makes its way from ocean to ocean.
- Enjoy the slow-down trend of the year: rail travel. The majesty of the Canadian Rockies unfolds before passengers with a train journey aboard the incomparable Rocky Mountaineer. Gaze at panoramic surroundings through the glass-dome coaches, savour local cuisine, and learn about natural and historic sites along the way through the stories of expert hosts.
- Venture to an uninhabited island in Tonga for the ultimate unplugged escape. This Polynesian kingdom is comprised of 140 islands without residents as well as a wonderfully temperate climate and tropical scenery. Guest can soak up on the sun on a private beach, snorkel in crystal-clear waters and explore jungles – all in blissful solitude.