Oneworld has announced that Alaska Airlines intends to join the alliance by summer 2021. The partnership comes as the US carrier plans to form a US West Coast international alliance with oneworld founding member American Airlines.
Once approved, oneworld membership will allow Alaska Mileage Plan loyalty members to earn and redeem miles through oneworld member airlines’ extensive global network.
“Alaska has always been proud to serve Seattle, the city that we call home. We’re thrilled to give our guests more choice, broader use of loyalty benefits, and seamless global service with American and oneworld,” said Ben Minicucci, President of Alaska Airlines.
“Alaska Airlines has been an outstanding partner for nearly 40 years, and we’re excited to expand West Coast international service together,” said Robert Isom, President of American Airlines. “By connecting American’s strength in long-haul international flying and Alaska’s presence across the West Coast, we will build a better network for our customers than either airline could build alone.”
The new alliance will enable Alaska Airlines’ frequent flyers to earn and redeem miles on more domestic and international destinations. This includes American Airlines’ new nonstop flight from Seattle to Bangalore, India, starting October, along with new flights from Seattle to London in the spring of 2021.
The tighter US West Coast association with American Airlines will provide Alaska Airlines’ passengers with benefits such as:
- The ability to earn and use miles on both Alaska and American
- Full elite status reciprocity
- Lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Clubs worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the US
- Continued domestic codeshare and expanded international travel from Los Angeles and Seattle for hassle-free booking and travel between Alaska and American Airlines
Starting spring 2020:
- Earn Alaska Mileage Plan miles on any American Airlines flights, domestically and internationally.
Starting summer 2021:
- Earn and redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles on all oneworld airlines (subject to award availability).
- Alaska elites will enjoy privileges, including priority boarding, premium seating, baggage benefits and more when you fly on American Airlines or any oneworld airline.
- Access 650 lounges within the oneworld network as an MVP Gold or Gold 75k member.
Agreements with Alaska Airlines’ current Global Partners, including Qantas, will continue uninterrupted.
In the last 12 months, oneworld unveiled new digital technology to enable a truly seamless travel experience across member carriers and announced plans for the first oneworld branded lounge at Moscow Domodedovo Airport. The alliance also introduced a fresh brand positioning, Travel Bright, to launch the alliance’s third decade and better reflect the diversity of today’s travellers and our member airlines.
Meanwhile, Royal Air Maroc in on track to join the oneworld alliance from 1 April 2020, adding its first full member in the African continent.