Tourism Australia has released a list of ‘101 Ways to Holiday in Australia’, offering inspiration to Aussies in need of some much-needed downtime. As 2020 draws to an end, the national tourist board says there’s never been a better time to “reclaim our optimism and find enjoyment in these uncertain times.”
Phillipa Harrison, Managing Director for Tourism Australia said 2020 has been extremely difficult and uncertain for many people.
“While we have faced many disruptions to how we live and travel there are still things we can do to keep the Australian spirit strong in ourselves and the people around us. Dreaming and planning for a holiday in Australia when the time is right might just be the antidote that many people need right now, and we have so many wonderful places to explore,” Harrison said.
Among the thorough list are a few experiences pitched at the affluent domestic traveller. LATTE has filtered through the 101 suggestions to highlight the luxury experiences that may appeal to your audience. They include the following:
- Island hop by boat: Australia is an island surrounded by 8,222 fringing islands. Ranging in size from small rocks which are not covered by water at high tide to some that are bigger than the ACT. Whether it’s a tiny fishing boat or a luxury superyacht, paradise seekers can island hop to Australia’s shores to find seemingly endless beaches and colourful reefs for snorkelling stops.
- Go ‘off-the-grid’: Vast and open, Australia is the world’s sixth-largest country – making it the perfect destination to go off-grid and enjoy isolation. From off-grid glamping and solar-powered eco-resorts to luxury lodges in the wilderness, recharge your batteries by bathing in Australia’s natural landscapes. If you want to get a taste of off-the-grid living without travelling too far from the big cities, there are also a number of luxury off-grid accommodation options available. Or, hot tip, turn any holiday into an off-grid experience by leaving your phone at home!
- Walk into wellness: The Great Walks of Australia are multi-day guided walks that offer a restorative connection to nature while traversing some of the continent’s most breathtaking landscapes. Each walk is done with a dash of eco-luxury comfort – so you can rest easy knowing you’re in the safe hands of the experienced guides who will help you to make the most of your time in nature.
- Find where luxury meets sustainable travel: Commit to sustainability while also staying in some of the most luxurious corners of the country with Australia’s Luxury Lodges. Each independent lodge champions a diverse range of sustainable practices, and so guests can rest easy knowing that their experience will support and enrich local communities and cultures. Many also offer a chance for guests to help contribute to local environmental preservation and regeneration efforts.
- Charter a superyacht: Offering luxury, freedom and a totally customised experience, chartering a superyacht is possibly the ultimate way to discover Australia. On a superyacht, you will have access to some of the world’s most pristine waters, stunning natural environments and unforgettable onshore experiences, as well as impeccable service and world-class food and wine. Your route, and onshore and offshore experiences and activities, are completely customisable and is set in pre-charter planning sessions with your agent.
- Take a scenic flight: Book in a scenic flight and soar over Australia’s icons. Whether it’s naturally occurring or man-made, a scenic flight is guaranteed to give you a new perspective on any destination and leave you feeling on top of the world. Choose your flight of fancy from a range of short, day-long and sunset tours or book a charter flight.
- Wander through vines to cellar doors: Australia is home to some of the world’s great wine regions. The country boasts big names in the wine industry but be sure to also check out emerging boutique and artisan winemakers producing the next generation of Australian wines. For budding wine connoisseurs, the Ultimate Winery Experiences Australia offers a collection of high-end, award-winning wineries offering behind-the-scenes wine, food and adventure experiences including barrel, private and structured tastings, food and wine matching, wine blending and cooking classes.
- Indulge in a hatted restaurant: Feel fancy and indulge in fine dining restaurants that have received the coveted ‘hat’ award. Outside of the cities, recent rumblings in regional Australia have put the spotlight on a new wave of restaurants rivalling their big city siblings. These restaurants are dotted across the countryside and take advantage of the world-class produce of their regions.
Harrison concluded, “For those that have the means to do so, summer offers the perfect opportunity for getting out and enjoying our country’s best offerings while also helping our tourism businesses and communities get back on their feet after this challenging time.”
To view the complete list of ‘101 Ways to Holiday in Australia’, click here.
Lead image supplied: Seppeltsfield Vineyard Cottage © Sam Kroepsch