The second-longest river in Central and Western Europe, the Rhine flows 1,200 kms from the white-dusted peaks of the Swiss Alps to the rainbow-hued blossoms of the Netherlands. Offering sweeping views, an array of cultures and flavours, plus a rich history that dates back to the Holy Roman Empire, the Rhine is much more than the river of princes, poets and painters – it’s the river of adventure seekers.
“With nearly two dozen cruise itineraries in our Rhine holiday portfolio, Avalon Waterways offers more ways to discover the Rhine River Valley, year-round, than any other river cruise line,” said Pam Hoffee, Managing Director of Avalon Waterways. “Whether you’re dipping your toe into river cruising or diving headfirst into your next cruise, the Rhine realises the Europe of every traveller’s dreams.”
The Rhine River not only winds, bends and meanders through several, must-see countries, it takes travellers to the storybook settings of fabled, fairy tale lands – often on week-long or even shorter itineraries. Perfect cruising holidays for first-timers include:
- A Taste of the Rhine (5 days). Bookended by two bucket-list cities – Amsterdam and Frankfurt – this short and “suite” sailing adventure gives travellers the opportunity to test the river cruise waters while enjoying the sweeping, dramatic views of the Rhine Gorge.
- The Romantic Rhine (8 days) is a better choice for a week-long holiday.
One river. Five countries. The Rhine River not only weaves together diverse countries, cultures and cuisines, it also connects to other legendary waterways to create an in-depth, well-rounded river cruise holiday. The perfect pick holiday for travellers interested in getting the most out of their river cruise is:
- The Rhine & Moselle – Canals, Vineyards & Castles (8 days). Combining the romance and Rieslings of the Rhine with the untouched, storybook settings of the Moselle, this cruise drifts through time, traditions and three fabulous countries.
Anchored in picturesque ports, Avalon takes travellers off-the-beaten path to discover – and re-discover – the Old World in new ways. Perfect holidays for returning Rhine cruisers include:
- Active & Discovery on the Rhine (8 days). Explore the Rhine River your way with a varied selection of classic, active and discovery excursions. From history to food and nature to art, our breadth of excursions includes everything from a regional wine-tasting in Eltville and hike up to Ehrenbreitstein Fortress to a Düsseldorf biking tour and Dutch painting class.
- For a more, in-depth adventure, consider 15-day Magnificent Europe or 16-day Enchanted Europe.
Book now and Save: SAVE up to $3,300/couple on select 2021/2022 Rhine river cruises. For details, click here.
Lead image: Avalon Artistry II – Mainz, Germany