Princess Cruises has unveiled the first glimpse of its newest MedallionClass ship – Discovery Princess – with the ship celebrating her maiden voyage to the Mexican Riviera.
Princess President John Padgett, along with Discovery Princess officers, welcomed the first guests, Michael and Sally Smith, on board with a special ceremony. From Sacramento, California the Smiths are frequent guests sailing with Princess for the last 10 years.
Delivered to Princess Cruises in January by the Fincantieri shipyard, Discovery Princess expands the cruise line’s fleet to 15 vessels, offering elegantly appointed accommodations, world-class entertainment, gourmet dining and cocktails, extensive alfresco dining areas and expansive views from the cruise line’s largest balconies at sea in the Sky Suites. A traditional naming ceremony celebration will take place at the Port of Los Angeles on 29 April, 2022, with more details to follow.
Ahead of its inaugural, Princess Cruises hosted travel advisors on a shake-down voyage to trial the product before it hits the market. View their testimonials at right.
The 3,660-guest Discovery Princess is the sixth and final Royal-Class newbuild sharing all of the spectacular style and luxury of her sister ships – Enchanted Princess, Sky Princess, Majestic Princess, Regal Princess and Royal Princess.
Discovery Princess is now sailing on a series of Mexican Riviera and California Coast voyages from 27 March-24 April 2022. The ship will then head up the Pacific coast to begin a season of seven-day Alaska cruises from Seattle, making her the newest ship sailing in the Alaska region.
With an array of innovative new experiences, guests will enjoy 270-degree sweeping views from the Princess’ largest balconies at sea in the Sky Suites, unwind in ultimate comfort at The Sanctuary and indulge the senses with world-class dining options.
Notable features and entertainment offerings found onboard Discovery Princess include:
- Princess Theater Original Production Shows – Spotlight Bar, debuting in April, is an imaginative new live show that transports guests to a vibrant bar atmosphere where they will meet and connect with local storytellers who will share tales of their lives through song. With a modern-day playlist that will evoke memories and may even inspire dancing among all – bar owner, regulars and patrons alike – Spotlight Bar is sure to bring people together in a place where everyone belongs. Discovery Princess also showcases fan-favourite Rock Opera, featuring incredible costumes inspired by glamorous avant-garde fashion with a musical soundtrack spanning classic rock, opera and musical theater.
- Sky Suites – First introduced on Sky Princess (2019), the new luxury Sky Suites offer exclusive amenities, attentive service and
a dedicated Suite Experience Manager, luxurious accommodations for up to five guests and a balcony featuring 270-degree views from the cruise line’s largest balcony at sea.
- 25 Bars & Restaurants – With some of the most al fresco dining options of any Princess ship, Discovery Princess features Bistro Sur La Mer by Three Michelin Star Chef Emmanuel Renaut, Sabatini’s Italian Trattoria with its own Pasta Room, Crown Grill Steakhouse and Bar, Crooners, Chef’s Table Lumiere, Gigi’s Pizzeria, The Salty Dog Gastropub, Gelato, three beautifully appointed Main Dining Rooms and more.
- Take Five – First debuted on Sky Princess, Take Five showcases vintage footage, iconic imagery and intimate conversations that transport you to the heart of the jazz era. Guests can enjoy nightly live jazz while sipping cocktail favorites from Master Mixologist Rob Floyd and specialty gin cocktails crafted exclusively for Take Five.
- Aquatic Relaxation – In addition to multiple hot tubs, Discovery Princess boasts two deep-tank pools, adjacent to the top-deck bar. At the ship’s aft end, the infinity-style Wakeview pool and bar offer spectacular views of the horizon, while the Retreat Pool offers a quiet oasis.
Discovery Princess also offers signature Princess venues and amenities including the Piazza, Lotus Spa, The Sanctuary, Movies Under the Stars, Princess Live! Café, Good Spirits at Sea Bar, Vegas-Style Casino, The Shops of Princess, Camp Discovery Youth & Teen Center and Discovery at SEA programs.
More about Discovery Princess at princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/xp-discovery-princess/