Abercrombie & Kent has added a second departure in 2024 to its guest-favourite cruise, Wonders of Japan, offering a new autumn season alternative to its cherry blossom voyage in March.
Guests on the itinerary will explore Japan’s flawless gardens and spectacular UNESCO World Heritage sites on a journey around the culture-rich islands of Japan.
A&K’s Wonders of Japan cruise ventures to five islands aboard Le Soleal — Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu and Okinawa — each with its own customs and traditions, alongside an award-winning Expedition Team and a professional photographer. Full of unique shore excursions with scholars and experts, guests can enjoy a pre-cruise stay in food-lovers’ Osaka, with the option of a post-cruise extension in modern Tokyo.
Subscribe to LATTE Cruise’s free eNewsletter to keep up to date with everything in the luxury cruise space.
- Witness private performances by Kodo taiko drummers, Kabuki warriors and geishas
- Immerse yourself in mesmerising Japanese gardens and art at the Adachi Museum of Art
- Visit Gyeongju, South Korea’s ancient dynastic capital and UNESCO World Heritage site
- Reflect on Japan’s turbulent history and witness its miraculous resurgence in Hiroshima
- Enjoy fascinating onboard lectures by botanists, naturalists and art historians on Japanese history, culture and gardens
- Experience the magical atmosphere of cherry blossom season during march, or the vibrant reds, oranges and yellows of autumn’s ‘Koyo’ season.
Autumn in Japan
The viewing of autumn leaves has been a popular activity in Japan for centuries, drawing nature lovers to famous ‘koyo’ spots in dozens of mountain and city forests. Explore vibrant red, orange, and yellow foliage, with orange osmanthus, blood-red spider lilies, and chrysanthemums in all their delicate pastes.
Falling temperatures also signal the return of warming Japanese cuisine with roasted chestnuts, seasonal matsutake mushrooms, ocean-fresh mackerel and sweet persimmons, while a dip in an onsen at a traditional ryokan becomes a warming respite from the bracing autumn air.
A&K’s Luxury Expedition Cruises draw on 30 years of experience creating unparalleled service at sea, to bring to guests the ultimate in all-inclusive luxury — from an engaging program of expert lectures, special events and curated shore excursions, to an elegant culinary program, included gratuities, and complimentary wifi and laundry. Depending on the expedition, guests may also explore fascinating cities, with stays in luxury hotels and signature-guided A&K excursions.
A&K chooses the ideal luxury expedition small ships and limits the number of guests to 80% capacity — from 148 to 199 guests depending on the vessel, and never more. This ensures a private balcony in every stateroom and suite, one of the best personnel-to-guest ratios at 1 to 1.3, and an optimised experience orchestrated entirely by A&K.
Departing on 20 September 2024, prices start at AU$33,070 per person twin share.