- Silver Cloud crosses into the Antarctic circle on 13 January 2019
- Silver Discoverer offering immersive experiences in Australia’s Kimberley region throughout 2019, with highlights including overnight stops in the Buccaneer Archipelago region and Hunter River region, and witnessing Indigenous rock art dating back more than 50,000 years
In its 10th year of expedition cruising, Silversea Cruises is continuing to unlock a broad range of deep travel experiences for guests. From the cool conditions of Antarctica to the warm climates of the Kimberley and beyond, Silversea’s guests will explore over 900 destinations in 2019. Standout experiences for 2019 include a recent trip to the isolated waters of the 66th parallel south.
Symbolising Silversea’s commitment to unlocking unique and authentic experiences, Silversea’s Silver Cloud journeyed to the 66th parallel south on 13 January, crossing into the Antarctic Circle. It was the first time the ship has ventured so far south. Guests relished the opportunity to cruise in such remote waters and were rewarded with a special ‘Red Nose’ ceremony on the pool deck, an initiation ritual that has historically been performed on this momentous seafaring occasion. Shortly after, a record 98 guests participated in a polar plunge, which was followed by informative lectures and trivia games. Guests even spotted humpback whales as the ship sailed northward, rounding off a successful day.
“You could feel the excitement in the air as we sailed closer to the line,” says Brooke Greene, a member of Silversea’s Expedition Team. “It was a special moment for everyone because most of the staff had never been below the Antarctic Circle, and it was certainly the first time for all the guests. It made it all the more special that it was the first time for Silver Cloud as well.”
“Led by our industry-leading Expedition Team, who enrich the adventure for our guests, our voyages to Antarctica are unique in their offering,” says Conrad Combrink, Silversea’s SVP Strategic Development Expeditions and Experiences. “Not only do guests travel deeper into the last continent, witnessing the iconic sights that define this incredible region, but they do so in ultimate comfort with Silversea’s trademark service.”
Cruising in a distinctly different ecosystem to that of Silver Cloud, Silversea’s Silver Discoverer will enable guests to discover Australia’s Kimberley Coast throughout 2019. Offering immersive experiences in the region, Silversea guests will journey to the King George Falls by Zodiac, getting close enough to feel the spray from the 80-metre twin cascades; witness Aboriginal rock art, which dates back more than 50,000 years; and spot spectacular wildlife, including the saltwater crocodile, rare bird species and various reptiles. Many other memorable experiences will ensure a once-in-a-lifetime voyage.
Accompanied by Silversea’s Expedition Team, who will provide insightful lectures and lead shore excursions, the following Silversea voyages to the Kimberley region represent a small sampling of what’s on offer:
- Broome (Kimberley) to Darwin – Leaving Broome in the Kimberley Region on 15 April 2019, Silver Discoverer will showcase the very best of the Kimberley Coast on this 10-day voyage to Darwin. Guests will explore the beauty of the Buccaneer Archipelago region on an overnight stop, before cruising to the Hunter River region for another overnight call. Next, Silver Discoverer will set her course for the King George River, Wyndham, and Saumlaki in Indonesia, before arriving in Darwin on 25 April.
- Darwin to Broome (Kimberley) – Departing 25 April 2019. From Darwin, guests will witness the natural beauty of Saumlaki in Indonesia before journeying to Australia’s Wyndham, the King George River, the Hunter River region and the Buccaneer Archipelago region, ahead of arriving in Broome. Guests will witness the impressive Bungle Bungle Range and the Kimberleys’ aboriginal rock art, among other highlights.
- Broome (Kimberley) to Darwin – From 5 May 2019, Silver Discoverer will call at the same destinations as she cruises from Broome to Darwin, immersing Silversea’s guests in the region’s natural beauty. During this 10-day voyage, guests will travel deeper into the Kimberley Region, creating rich memories and experiencing truly unforgettable moments.
- Broome (Kimberley) to Darwin – Silver Discoverer will then journey between the same captivating destinations once more, from 25 May 2019. From Broome in the Kimberley, guests will enjoy an overnight in the Buccaneer Archipelago Region and an overnight in the Hunter River Region, before discovering the beauty of King George River, Wyndham, and Saumlaki in Indonesia, prior to arriving in Darwin.
“Many travellers who visit the Kimberley Coast share the opinion that it is a life-changing destination,” says Adam Armstrong, Silversea’s Managing Director for Australia & New Zealand. “This remote and unspoilt region is a truly unique place that is best explored by ship. Silversea’s trademark level of comfort and exemplary service complement the immersive experiences on offer to make these expedition voyages unforgettable for guests.”
Aboard Silver Discoverer, as on all other ships in Silversea’s fleet, guests enjoy ocean-view suites, sumptuous cuisine and the personalised service of a butler. All-inclusive amenities include complimentary premium wines and spirits, speciality coffees, bottled water, juices and soft drinks served throughout the ship; an in-suite bar, stocked with guests’ preferences; in-suite 24-hour dining; and unlimited complimentary Wi-Fi.