Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley took out the prestigious Virtuoso ‘Sustainable Tourism Leadership Award’ for 2019 as part of Virtuoso Best of the Best Awards. The resort was one of just 10 properties honoured in front of 1,800 premier travel advisors and luxury hospitality executives at the 13th annual Hotels & Resorts Dinner at Bellagio Resort & Casino.
The Virtuoso Sustainable Tourism Leadership Awards, now in its ninth year, recognises companies that are committed to travel that is environmentally friendly, protects cultural heritage, and contributes to the well-being of local people.
“It is important to recognise the exceptional contributions of Best of the Best winners such as Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley”, said Albert Herrera, Senior Vice President of Global Product Partnerships for Virtuoso. “Every year our winners raise the bar even higher for global luxury hospitality, and we are proud to honour their accomplishments while expressing gratitude for the inspiration they provide to us all.”
Sustainability is at the heart of Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley. Since opening in 2009, the resort has secured and maintained carbon-neutral certification from internationally-accredited scheme, carboNZero for 10 consecutive years. The resort team has planted over 200,000 indigenous trees, actively preserved biodiversity, and restored a historic homestead building as well as introducing large scale energy and waste management initiatives, such as the removal of single-use plastic throughout the resort.
Guests are encouraged to participate in the resort’s efforts to protect cultural and natural heritage, with activities as native tree-planting and wombat tracking.
Commenting on the win, General Manager of Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley James Wyndham said, “We are absolutely thrilled to be recognised with this prestigious Virtuoso Sustainable Tourism Leadership Award.”
“It means so much to the passionate, dedicated team at Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley, who work hard every day to build a sustainable future for the resort and for the tourism industry. It is also an honour to be the first Australian winner of this important award, and we hope to inspire others in the industry in leading the way in sustainability practices.”
James Wyndham, GM of Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley
Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley’s other recent accolades include:
- 2019 Tourism Accommodation Australia (NSW) Awards for Excellence – Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley inducted into the Hall of Fame in the Regional Deluxe Hotel category
- Wolgan Dining Room awarded a three glass rating
- Travel+Leisure (USA): World’s Best Awards 2019 – Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley ranked #4 in ‘The Top 5 Australia and New Zealand Resort Hotels’
- TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Award 2019 – Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley awarded:
- #5 in ‘Top 25 Luxury Hotels in Australia’
- #11 in ‘Top 25 Hotels in Australia’
- #24 in ‘Top Hotels for Romance in Australia’
- #8 in ‘Top 25 Luxury Hotels in the South Pacific’
- NSW Government Sustainability Advantage Program – Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley has been awarded Bronze status
- Enviromark – Outstanding performance in Carbon Management